Tuesday, November 08, 2005

New Music

I'm gonna put Song #11 up tommorrow, probably. For the moment, I can' possibly be bothered, because I've found something I can't stop listening to, and I'm going to so so far as to recommend it.

I never really bothered to become a fan of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, but I approved of them in theory. Still, I hadn't heard a single song until I picked up Howl for $10 (I love Target).

It's an album that's thrown it's fans a left hook, trading in blastery and distorted indie punk for acoustic blues shuffles and lyrics that boast about standing by Jesus. And it's easy to accuse them of ripping off Dylan and the like. But there's nothing cheap on this record, nothing that smacks of caving in to what the punters want. It's a one-five change, as Lou Reed says, and it's glorious.

One warning, however. It's a Sony product, and it's got software that can mess up your 'puter. So keep it in the stereo and the Walkman.

No comments: