Monday, September 22, 2003

The Inspired Mind





I have been reading The Reckless Mind by Mark Lilla, an account/criticism of various 20th century thinkers who have, one way or another, found themselves supporting tyranny, be it of the Marxist, Fascist, or even Islamic varieties. His focus seems strictly to be on European thinkers, which in one way can be limiting, but for me has provided a useful primer on the kind of philosophizing and politicking that's been going on across the Atlantic of late. Of course, to be serious I'm going to have to read more, and read more I plan to do. Hence my title.


I came to realize that there was much I did not know, and much that I recognize but have not read. Thus inspired, I went to Borders and attacked the familiar: The Federalist Papers, and The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek, neither of which I've read. When that is done, I shall launch myself into the works of those I have casually dismissed on limited collegiate readings, such as Foucault, Derrida, and Chomsky. It is wise to know the ways of one's adversaries.

No comments: