Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Music Wars and Dead White Men

I thought I'd let my 5 loyal readers know what's on my mind for the rest of this week:


Matt over at UnbornChickenVoice has started compiling a list of the 20 Greatest Songs of his lifetime, which coincides with mine, as we were both born in the same year. Matt has always been way the hell ahead of me in terms of music fandom; he had a vast library when I had literally no knowledge of popular music of any kind. Many of the things I loudly claimed to hate when we knew each other in college I have since grown to appreciate. Even now, I guaruntee that he'll pull out a list of 20 songs that I've never heard of.

Naturally, I will view this as a challenge and respond accordingly.

Starting tommorrow, you can expect to see the 20 Greatest Songs Of My Lifetime Currently In My Music Collection. It's going to be a weaker list than Matt's, but you just might get the thrill of recognition.


I'm also thinking about revisionism, per Glenn Reynold's noting of this book as a tonic to the by-now-expected yearly flagellation regarding Columbus Day. Being on the side of the political aisle I am, I tend to view revisionists as but part of the lefties' front organization. I think sometime this week or next, I'll get a real essay on the subject out.

No comments: