Friday, October 21, 2005

The Irony of Being Unaware of Your Irony While Accusing Someone of Doing the Same.

I appreciate that dredging DailyKos for yucks is rather passe, but sometimes I have to wonder. In today's "Cheers and Jeers" for example, one finds this:

Coulter, that hard-line conservative, told Geraldo Rivera in 2000 that it was perfectly okay to sleep around: "Let's say I go out every night, I meet a guy and have sex with him. Good for me. I'm not married." But then God came knocking to remind her that, along with homosexuality, sleeping around before marriage is a no-no, so she told the London Telegraph:

"I will never say publicly that, as a Christian, I think God says it's okay to have premarital sex or to have homosexual sex." Oops. Well, you already did, Ann. ... Stumbling along the talk-show circuit like a badly drawn cartoon, she seems completely unaware of her own irony.


Okay. I'm gonna read that statement a couple more times, and see if I can find the point where Coulter says pre-marital sex is okay....

Nope, not seeing it.

I realize that there may be a few structuralists among the Kossacks, but generally speaking, someone who uses the words "Let's say," is intending that what follows is regarded as a hypothetical situation. And to someone well-versed in the rythmns of speech on American political television, the words "Good for me," are almost never read literally. They're intended as, well...irony.

I feel the need to offer a definition of irony, but I'm too distracted by wondering how tin-eared you need to be to not read context into a statement of this kind. Of course, it occurs to me that the whole post may be of the wink-wink variety, or that Bill from Portland, Maine may be offering this as a jeer at the writer as much as at Coulter. But when the gag above is about the flatulence of Gerald Ford and the gag below regurgitates Richard Clarke, then...I just don't know.

No comments: