Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Spring & Summer Reading





Come to think of it, I think I'll be really lucky to get any of the stuff done this week in here that I want to. But I have decided on my next set of books to acquire, now that I've largely finished with Hayek (fascinating book. Said a great many things I have considered to be true). As it stands, my next goals are to read the following:




1. The Phenomenon of Man, by Teilhard de Chardin. The guy was a Jesuit priest and an archaelogist. I am fascinated.


2. Phoenix: The Church in the Dark Ages, by by H. Daniel-Rops. I'm interested in "The Dark Ages" as a period of time, and have been since I did a report on the Merovingians in high school. This is as good a place to start as any.


3. Dark Age Ahead, by Jane Jacobs. Yay, future paranoia!


4. 1940 Marine Corp Small Wars Manual. Considered scriptural on the subject by some.


5. Manufacturing Consent, by Noam Chomsky. It is wise to know the ways of one's adversary.


6. Galileo's Mistake, by Wade Rowland. Historical Church apologism. I've long heard that there was more to the story of Galileo than "brave man of science held back by naughty, bad, wicked Church! Time to investigate.


7. The Spanish Inquisition: A Historical Revision, by Henry Kamen. See above.


8. A Concise History of the Crusades, by Thomas Madden. Since I read Piers Paul Anderson's history of the Templars, I've been interested in doing some more Crusade reading. Another period that has always interested me.




I'm thinking of putting this list up on the main page, next to the music listings. I might even put these on the other side of the blog, as my archives are taking over the other side. Skeptical's got a good design. I should consider using it.

No comments: