Thursday, January 22, 2004

Let Sullivan be Sullivan





After the SOTU, Andrew Sullivan's been getting the usual abuse from Bush-supporters: the accusation that he's gone wobbly. I joined in the chorus last time, but not this time. I disagree with him on his overall take on the speech, but agree on certain points. I am underwhelmed, for example, by the president's attention on steroids, and other points I believe to be beyond the federal government's appropriate purview. Nevertheless, I don't think that this signals the kind of hubris or malaise that Sullivan and others might think. I think Bush is ready and waiting for campaign season to start, and that he wants this re-election, wants it so bad that he will campaign the living hell out of anybody that the Dems push up against him. Bush the Elder, alas, thought the re-election was his by right. I do not think the son is so deluded.


At any rate, Sullivan is right to point out (as he's been pointing out for a year or more) that there is much to worry a true fiscal conservative with regard to the Bush presidency. Alas, I don't take Democratic rhetoric on fiscal responsibility seriously. So I swallow the pill of fiscal stupidity so that I can get continued leadership towards undermining terrorism. So, I think in the end, will Sully. So leave him be. The old boy's not even a Republican.


UPDATE: Just scanned the SOTU reviews over at National Review Online, and many of them bring up the same substantive critiques. Even John Derbyshire (insert "bedfellows" joke here). So qwitcherbitchin'.

No comments: