Friday, January 09, 2004

Death to the Redskins...





NFL fans have doubtless heard: Joe Gibbs is back. It's a big deal to anyone who lives anywhere near D.C., and I for one am not overjoyed. You see, I hate the Redskins, always have, and always will. I have hated them since I was a little boy, and have thoroughly enjoyed their misery these past several years. David Hickey nicely sums up the reason that many people who live around D.C. hate the Deadskins in today's National Review: the annoying fans, the annoying coverage, etc. But he's a Dallas Cowboys fan, and the Cowboys are the only team I hate worse than the Redskins (I couldn't tell you why. It's a visceral reaction. Their claim to be "America's Team" might have something to do with it). More to the point, he left out the most important reason to detest the Rudeskins: their rage-inducingly irritating "fight song." I've never heard it without wanting to commit serial homicide. Even the potential of hearing it blaring over the TV during a playoff game makes me want to call some college pals up and finally start that exodus to Tonga we used to dream about during finals.

No comments: