Thursday, January 13, 2011

Obama's Tucson Speech

Hopefully this will be the last I write on this subject.

My initial reaction to Obama's speech, which I read last night, was that he was sounding the right notes, and appearing presidential for the first time in his presidency. By explicitly calling attention to the Loughner's victims, he made the subject what it should have been all along. It was the right re-focusing of the national attention and mood.

Now, many on the Right are not going to be satisfied with this. For them, nothing short of defending Sarah Palin and telling the unhinged of his own camp specifically to silence themselves, will be acceptable. As with his Iraq Speech, I'm not so picky. I don't expect a Democratic President to specificaly call out members of his own party for rebuke. There's simply no benefit for him to do that. No Republican President would do it either.

No, last night, however briefly, Obama was the President of the whole country, not just the people who agree with him. That is more than I usually expect from him, so I will grant it respect.

No comments: