Monday, February 14, 2005

Black Comic. "Anti-Gay" Remarks. The Oscars. Get Ready.

And all this time I thought I was the only one that hated the Oscars.

BTW, I'm fine with the Academy deciding to dispense with Rock's services as host. No one has the obligation to continue to work with someone who publicly disparages them (even if I mostly agree with the disparagment, especially the "fashion show" line). I really don't think he's the kind of comic that the Oscars do well with. They like their patter to be self-involved and chirpy, and they like it to come from an actual movie star. Chris Rock has done movies, but he's more the angry black comic than the relaxed movie star. Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, Whoopi Goldberg come to mind. But then, they all got their start in stand-up, so what do I know?

This: if given a choice, I'd rather watch Chris Rock than the Oscars.

No comments: