Tuesday, January 18, 2005

King Martin Luther

I considered penning something timely about Martin Luther King Day, until I decided that I couldn't come up with anything worth saying. MLK day is like Veterans' Day: just another Day Off with Special Commercials. The "What would he say today?" routine gets more tiresome every year. It's a question without an answer: we can't know what he would think, because the man he was in 1968 would probably not be the same man in 2004. Would he have agreed with Bill Cosby's remarks last year or attacked him? I don't know. Neither do you. He belongs to the past, let him stay there.

Personally, I look forward to the day when MLK day means CRAZY DAYS at the local Ford Dealership ("Interest-Free at last, Interest-Free at Last, Thank GOD ALMIGHTY, etc.). Because that will mean that we've finally let all this race-garbage, all that ignorance, all that leftover hate-whitey, hate-darkey, hate-yankee routine behind.

No comments: