Sunday, August 24, 2003

I might have mentioned...





...that I was disappearing for part of the week to Minnesota. But more likely I didn't. Apologies.




Apparently the Senate has declared 2003 to be the Year of the Blues, according to an article in today's Washington Post Magazine. The focus of the story is the trials and tribulations of Linwood Taylor, a local bluesman and guitar virtuoso who somehow can't seem to sing the blues. So far, so journalistic.


What sticks in my craw is an offhand quote made by Bob Santinelli, owner of a music house in Seattle and permanent 60's nostalgia-man (because, you know, we've got a real shortage of 60's nostalgia in this country). Here it is:


"I want this music to thrive," Santelli says. "The blues is the bedrock of American popular music. As most of its legends and stars grow old and die, this musical form needs a shot in the arm to allow it to compete with other forms. I grew up in the Sixties, so thanks to the Rolling Stones and Cream, I got into Muddy Waters. But young people today haven't been exposed to it." For the blues to thrive, somebody has to recruit listeners


You may think me geeky, but this kind of nonsense infuriates me. Has this silly sonofabitch ever heard of Nirvana? That whole grunge scene was all about bringing the fury of the blues back to a thin and weedy American rock scene. Their Unplugged show back in '94 was the best blues concert since B.B. King played the Regal. Or how about the White Stripes? Check out this month's Spin for a full-on expose of how Meg and Jack became the biggest-selling band in rock, and what Jack was inspired by (*cough*Son House*cough*). Anyone who can't hear the blues on "White Blood Cells," or "Elephant" (500,000 copies sold to date) does not know from the blues. I'm not even going to mention Phish and the whole vibe scene, where blues flowers night by night.


Santinelli is right that the blues is the bedrock of American music. I've said so myself. But it doesn't need a special year from Congress to flourish (although that's a great deal more useful than most things Congress does). All it needs is for haughty Boomers (especially those that run record companies) to get off their high horse and realize that music didn't stop in 1980, that the kids are listening, and that the good stuff will out.


Rant over.

No comments: