Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Last Mask Slips

Joel Stein finally lets the cat out of the bag regarding "Supporting the Troops."

I do sympathize with people who joined up to protect our country, especially after 9/11, and were tricked into fighting in Iraq. I get mad when I'm tricked into clicking on a pop-up ad, so I can only imagine how they feel.

But when you volunteer for the U.S. military, you pretty much know you're not going to be fending off invasions from Mexico and Canada. So you're willingly signing up to be a fighting tool of American imperialism, for better or worse.


Now he's not as extreme as he appears. He doesn't think they should get spat on and called babykillers. He supports giving them "hospitals, pensions, mental health and a safe, immediate return." But the logic of the all-volunteer military has finally caught up with the left. The I-word has come out. It'll be interesting to see what happens when this notion percolates with the Dem Underground and the Kossacks for a while. I mean, we all remember Ted Rall's sympathetic portrayal of the Pro-footballer who died in Afghanistan.

No comments: