Friday, April 15, 2005

The 9 Types of Types

I've always been a fan of Matt Groening's cartoons, even though he's a polar opposite of my kind of politics. I remember the cartoon whose captions are linked here (Hat Tip: Vodkapundit), and I remember chuckling at them when I didn't have a girlfriend. But looking over the list now, I notice something:

Is it just me, or are the guys the effeminate ones here? And the women the dominating brutes?

There's Joe Sensitive, the Dreamer, and Flinchy, with only Bigfoot fulfilling the role of standard-issue caveman. Even the Sneak is oddly fey, sneaking around like a weasel rather than shouting "Bathe her, and bring her to my tent!" like a warrior. As for Old Man Grumpus, think "college professor", "senior editor," and "Dave Matthews fan."

Now look at the ladies. Out of Nine types, three are clearly Alpha-Females (Old Yeller, the Bosser, and Huffy), two are by-nature uncontrollable, (Wild Woman Out of Control, Woman From Mars), and two are the wilting kind (Sickly, Vaguely Dissatisfied). Ms. Nice Guy is clearly "One of the Boys" and any chick who gets into sports carries a degree of ambiguity gender-wise.

All anecdotal, of course. And it leads one to wonder about the kind of men (what, no Perpetual Jock? No Capitalist Captain? No Perpetual Geek?) and women (No Nun-in-Training? No Yammerbox? No Geekess?) Groening encounters. But when I consider the memes about the demasculation of modern society that flew around back in the 90's, and when I consider that underlining such an idea was likely the farthest thing from Groening's mind, I find the co-incidence fascinating.

No comments: