Friday, June 04, 2004

Newsies





I raise now the question I've mentioned in recent weeks: What is News?


As far as I can determine, there are 3 definitions available, one utopian and two cynical:


1. News is information about the wider world that the public ought to be aware of so that they may respond appropriately.


2. News is the propaganda of the ruling classes, of which only a brave few manage to break free.


3. News is the useless drivel of a chattering class of professional ignoramuses (ignorami?), who prune information to suit the worldview they possessed in their sophomore year of college, thus presenting a world favorable to the ideas and people they like.




Which definition you prefer will probably depend on your place on the ideological spectrum, but I think the most insidious of all is 1. (this is undoubtedley the result of my fear of the utopian). Who shall determine what information the public "ought" to know, or what is an "appropriate response"? By what standards shall they make this decision?


You may of course say that it's easy for me to tear apart this strawman. But here's how Webter's defines "news" (via Dictionary.com):

A report of recent occurences; information of something that has lately taken place, or of something before unknown; fresh tindings; recent intelligence.


Inherent in this definition is that this is fresh, recent, or hitherto unknown information is something worth my while to know. But is it? What assurance do I have that the event or "trent" you're telling me about is actually worth the mental space you wish me to devote to it? What perspective informs your decision to inform me of these facts? How can I know that you aren't just wasting my time?


If I've made it sound like spreading news has almost become a hostile act, I am beginning to feel that way. I recognize the perversity of such a position. When someone tells me something, it's bordering on rudeness and paranoia to suspect that information. But it's a function of the omnipotence of NEWS. There it is, every second, every day, saying the same thing until it can find a new thing to say until that gets beaten into the ground. Saying things and saying things and suggesting things and mentioning things and leaving a thousand and one things out. What good is knowing what happened today if I don't know what happened in the same spot fifty years ago? What value has information without perspective?


Ah, but whose perspective? Welcome to the Mobius strip.


No comments: