Saturday, June 25, 2005

Well, It's More Interesting Than the Usual Movie Plug...

I normally avoid celebrity comment, but Cruise's little slapfight with Matt Lauer over Scientology and Ritalin caught my fancy. Note the statements with which Cruise argues:

-"You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do."
-"Do you know what Adderall is? Do you know Ritalin? Do you know now that Ritalin is a street drug? Do you understand that?"
-"If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, okay? That's what I've done."

My curiosity stems from the fact that at no point do we seem to see any actual facts brought out of this. Cruise claims to know, but does not elucidate. Either he's full of it, or he determined that going into the details would be too boring and dry for TV. Inasmuch as he should know that Scientology itself is too boring for TV, I am inclined to think the former.

Seriously, does anyone know anything about Scientology? It's routinely called a cult, but so's every religion until it becomes mainstream.


UPDATE: Never mind.

2 comments:

jg said...

thank god i don't know anyone who's worked for a religious "cult" for the past 5 years. those people are crazy!

Satan™ said...

I think scientology is great. We wouldn't have the best movie ever without it. Seriously.