Thursday, May 12, 2005

Define your Morality

This is kind of interesting, although it's definition of "harm" is admittedly narrow. I'd like to point out that I think the question of whether something can be immoral solely because God says so is a little disingenuous, though perhaps not intentionally so. I would never say that something is immoral because God or the Bible says so. I would say, however, that I can trust that something is probably immoral, even if I don't fully understand why, because I have this secondhand knowledge from God.

The two statements are not the same. What religion tells us about morality does not re-define the world in the light of Revelation. Rather, it tells us what our place in the world is metaphysically. If God exists, then God created the world, and God created us. Morality is what allows us to live in the world and with its creator in an ordered fashion. Both us and our morality come from the same source.

Here's how I scored, for whatever it's worth:

Your Moralising Quotient is: 0.60.

Your Interference Factor is: 0.40.

Your Universalising Factor is: 0.75.

No comments: