Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Damn Yankees





I could come up with a lame excuse for not blogging, but my tolerance for monotony has never been high. Ka-ka happens, kay?


On the subject of sports, the New York Yankees just took the lead over the Florida Marlins, 2 games to 1. They'd lost the first game of the series much like they had to the Twins in the first playoff. It begins to appear that the result no baseball fan outside the Five Boroughs wanted to see -- the damn Yankees winning it all again -- will come to pass.


On the one hand, this is annoying to me. I basically stopped watching pro basketball during the period of the Jordan-Pippin Bulls because the result was a forgone conclusion from the season opener: Chicago was going to win. I had similar feelings toward the Joe Montana 49'ers. Dynasties make a game boring. The great thing about football these last few seasons has been the fact that no one's been able to really predict the team that's going to make it to the big dance and win it. And I'm not alone. Judging by the drop-off in ratings, most of the public agrees with me.


On the other hand, Yankee-hatred can be just as irrational as any other form of continuous anitpathy. Everybody seems to hate the Yankees, except for all the people that seem not to. I grumble and groan when the Yankees dominate baseball, but I secretly glory in it. They have a long tradition of winning, of strong play and aggressive determination (and lots and lots of money), and what is wrong with any of that? Why do the Yankees always win? Who knows...but when they are, it seems all is right with the world.

No comments: