Monday, May 12, 2003

New and Improved!





Recently I decided to budget myself two CD's per month, so I can get over the buyer's guilt. So far the system has yielded excellent results: I've finally broken down and bought stuff I've always wanted, and have given myself proud warm fuzzies for my discipline. And since I've promised more music commentary in my banner than I've yet delivered on, I've taken the trouble to add links (to Amazon) of my most recent purchases and what I have planned for this coming month. When I get them, I'll comment on them here.





I've already gushed over the new White Stripes, so I'll confine myself to the Kinks album. I've recently developed an interest in mid-60's mod and garage rock thanks to discovering The Jam not too long ago. The Kinks are of course the starting point for mod, and I decided to go with the album from 1966, Face to Face, more or less at random. It wasn't until it arrived that I discovered that the album had a great song I remember from the college-radio station up in Philly a few years ago, "Sunny Afternoon." Good stuff. Like their spiritual descendents, Blur, the Kinks fit into a lot of listening moods, from swinging to somber. This one's nice.

No comments: