Friday, October 03, 2003

All things Rush





I was going to write today about how it saddened me that Rush took the rope offered to hang himself, how dumb it was to insert politics into sports. This morning's piece on Slate by Allen Barra has made me think again. I've enjoyed Barra's column in Salon for some time; he has a plainspoken realism that the best sports writers evince. He says that every word Rush said was true, that a) Donovan McNabb is a mediocre quarterback, and b) he is being puffed up because people want to see black quarterbacks do well. And Barra is no right-wing ideologue. Which is of course why he will get to keep his job.


I still suspect that McNabb's bogus reputation has as much to do with the need to sell him to Philadelphia fans who were livid when McNabb was drafted instead of Ricky Williams as to McNabb's race, but I'm willing to put credence in what Barra says. Sounds like Rush is being mau-maued.


As to the prescription drug thing, prudence demands that we await facts. I will say that if it is true, this could be far more potentially damaging to Rush' career. His listeners may not appreciate this one. But once again, let's hear the story.

No comments: